Lawrence S. Pertillar
'...I feel like I've been robbed! '
We've both made choices.
Not once did I question
Those you made.
I never compared your way of life...
Or whether you lived it right or wrong.
Or to how many charities you gave,
Discovered you felt uncomfortable,
That I had felt at ease.
Knowing I had no exorbitant mortgage.
Or neighbors to keep up with to please.
Or that my basic life involved having no car to drive.
I enjoy all types of people.
But I am not one to wine and dine,
Or constantly socialize.
I had admired that about you.
You loved what you did and I did too!
You seem critical of the life I've made.
The only thing that has changed...
Is my age.
I've never been into 'things'
That could come and go away.
Or try to hold onto pretensions...
To show even though they fade.
What you valued is gone and did not stay.
And why that angers you...
Is between you and your 'beliefs'.
Don't try to hold that against me.
Wasn't it you who once said...
I was delusional and feared reality instead?
I am living in my 'reality'!
What have you found so upsetting about yours?
Was it those things that made it more realistic?
Giving you more of a sense of self worth?
But why is it you feel that way now?
When I still have less 'things' than you!
'I don't have a car or a home anymore.
And last week I was laid off my job!
My 401k is worthless.
And I feel like I've been robbed! '
That's too bad.
And all this time,
I've been feeling blessed.
And that's real odd!
Because I don't,
Have a penny in my pocket!
And there you are...
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('...I feel like I've been robbed! ' by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- The nasty people الهبابير, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The not so cold wind blows, Bill Cantrell
- The Swing Door., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Unchampioning The Champion, Walter T Rambwi
- What they say!, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Blue, david kush
- A Few Autumn Notes Late October 2014, Daniel Brick
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns