I Leave a Candle Burning
I leave a candle burning in the window
to guide you safely home each night.
I clear a path for you to find your way,
and each night I keep watch and hold hope.
I leave a candle burning at the foot of the stair
and I hope you'll arrive before dawn.
Each day I cry in the silence at my loss -
In the shadows I'm still all alone.
I keep a candle burning in the window
and pray one night that you'll return.
I watch, and I hope in the silence of night
as I listen for your footstep on the stair.
A candle burns silently in my heart
and I wait for the shadows to disappear.
I long for the sight of you walking home
So that dawn will once more re-appear.
Melek Yuzlu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Leave a Candle Burning by Melek Yuzlu )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Whispers in the Dark, Adeosun Olamide
- Slipping, Sliding, Ann Clark
- Epitaph, Bozhidar Pangelov
- unveil, baharak barzin
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Queen Patreniallla - Part 2 Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Transitory, Babbling Brookes
- Having Fun, Noah Body
- winter, Clara Keiper
- After Rudyard Kipling, Josh Mitteldorf