John Carter Brown
In Praise Of Bob-Caps
Today I have banished my bob-cap
To a hook, in the room 'neath the stair;
It's been a good friend all the winter,
But now it's not needed to wear.
It's kept my head warm in the cold spell,
I've loved it to bits, so it's time
To speak out the praises of bob-caps, and,
I may as well do it in rhyme.
Oh that woollen black shield and protector,
What comfort it's been to my brain
As I've fought 'gainst the wind and the weather,
On my walks o'er the fields, in the rain.
No other will do quite as well as
This marvellous insulant cap;
It doesn't depend upon buttons,
Or laces, nor needs it a strap.
It's perfectly formed for the cranium
With a classic turn-up all around;
Yes, for me it's the ultimate head-wear,
It's the best one that I've ever found.
But there's nothing so plain as a bob-cap,
It's an out and out working man's top;
A snuggingly fitted head covering
That keeps the draughts out of your mop.
But there is an odd fact about bob-caps
Whether worn by the toffs or the yobs:
They've recently renamed them 'Beanies'
Because bob-caps don't always have bobs.
John Carter Brown's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (In Praise Of Bob-Caps by John Carter Brown )
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
- God and Guru, gajanan mishra
- Left Naked And Exposed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Birth day, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- TWILIGHT, Meggie Gultiano
- Morning prayers., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Favorite Quote, Nautica Moxley
- Building Bricks, Jude Ogunade
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)