James Walter Orr
Deep and solemn tolls the midnight bell.
The moon begins its slow descent, to sink,
Behind the steeply rising western hills,
And yet I lie in bed, awake, to think.
My thoughts turn to the day, yet barely past:
A piece of time that never will repeat.
With all our skills we couldn’t make it stay,
Although we wished it to, with fervored heat.
The days pass, and the sands of time run out.
The step, once light, now falls with heavy weight.
The old man with the scythe lurks in the shadows,
Reminding me we have a future date.
The dear things that I once so took for granted
Are precious now, beyond my ken to tell:
The scent of flowers; whistle of the black bird;
The drowsy hum of bees down in the dell.
To glean the most, in these remaining moments;
To gather fast the stores of joy around;
Spend my last among the flowers; mayhap
Their scent will linger with me underground.
James Walter Orr's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Irresistible Time by James Walter Orr )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS, Eugene W. Miller
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- 'Tis a Somewhat Sad Christmas!, Dr John Celes
- Let me observe carefully, gajanan mishra
- Waiting, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Thank all and smile, hasmukh amathalal
- O my Lord, gajanan mishra
- The Day Is Gone, And All Its Sweets Are .., Luo Zhihai
- Picturing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flag of peace, gajanan mishra
- Changing Positions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Elevated Insight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak