It's Not Easy Being a Foster Parent
Sometimes it’s not easy being a foster parent.
I feel transparent.
I don’t know how to bond with you.
If only I knew.
All the hurts and pain you went through in life.
I would know how to deal with the strife.
Sometimes your words cut through like a knife.
Life is too short to be filled with anger.
I get tired of feeling like an annoying stranger.
Why can’t you tell that all I want to do is love you!
I know life isn’t always easy.
But, you are a beautiful being.
Everything that happened to you, I wish I could wipe away.
I pray that one day, you see the truth.
After you have grown through your youth,
I just wanted you to love me one day.
To me it makes no difference that I didn’t give birth to you.
If only you knew how much I love you.
If I could, I would rewrite time for you.
I love you!
To me you’re the sun the moon and the stars a new beginning that’s new.
My love for you grew.
Each day I saw you.
Like a baby tree that I watered.
I’m swimming with you in deep waters.
You’re not walking this life alone.
I want this love I have for you to be known.
I’m with you until you’re grown.
This love I have for you will never end.
You’re my daughter and my friend.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (It's Not Easy Being a Foster Parent by Patricia Kelley )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Deep in my Soul, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Orange Has A Shadow, Saiom Shriver
- I'm Screaming Inside, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Wisdom, Forgiveness & Love., Tom Zart
- Not Divisive But Divine, Saiom Shriver
- Heart-Song of Mattie Stepanek*, Tushar Ray
- Singing Rain, Saiom Shriver
- Sometimes, Aslam Marikar
- The Confession, Aslam Marikar
- Resolutions, Gordon Ayisi