It's Not Easy Being a Foster Parent
Sometimes it’s not easy being a foster parent.
I feel transparent.
I don’t know how to bond with you.
If only I knew.
All the hurts and pain you went through in life.
I would know how to deal with the strife.
Sometimes your words cut through like a knife.
Life is too short to be filled with anger.
I get tired of feeling like an annoying stranger.
Why can’t you tell that all I want to do is love you!
I know life isn’t always easy.
But, you are a beautiful being.
Everything that happened to you, I wish I could wipe away.
I pray that one day, you see the truth.
After you have grown through your youth,
I just wanted you to love me one day.
To me it makes no difference that I didn’t give birth to you.
If only you knew how much I love you.
If I could, I would rewrite time for you.
I love you!
To me you’re the sun the moon and the stars a new beginning that’s new.
My love for you grew.
Each day I saw you.
Like a baby tree that I watered.
I’m swimming with you in deep waters.
You’re not walking this life alone.
I want this love I have for you to be known.
I’m with you until you’re grown.
This love I have for you will never end.
You’re my daughter and my friend.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (It's Not Easy Being a Foster Parent by Patricia Kelley )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- December 2014, Serenity Anderson
- On the outside looking In, Angell Afinowi
- Totally Connected, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- A Caged Bird, SAK Reddy
- A Deafness Too Excessive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Generals Of War., Tony Adah
- Advice, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Out Of Hearing Distance, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Mirage, The Princess is
- Mysterious world I am poor human, Elius Rubby