Alas! The anti-apartheid icon
The illustrious son of South Africa
is no more. No more
Is the Icon of Reconciliation
Against human humiliation.
The second death of Martin Luther King
Who happened to be a string
Strong around the neck
of his people's persecution.
Is to survive his demise.
It is no surprise
That he lived to transform
The darkness of African evening
Into glorious sunrise.
He sold not in his cell
The gold of his spirits
And the diamond of his passion
For worthless petty gains.
A bulwark of morality
An emblem of bloodless change
For the whole of humanity
A hero who lived up
To his legend.
Shahid Sarwar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nelson Mandela by Shahid Sarwar )
- The safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Limerick-35, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- no more love story, The Princess is
- Illogical, Margaret Moran
- Want, The Princess is
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)