Ode to Menopause
Somebody please put out the fire-
These hot flashes are something I don't desire.
Oh God, why is this happening to me?
These hot flashes are turning me into
Actually, not gourmet-
I'd have to say
More like burnt toast
Or overdone weenie roast.
How hot could it possibly be?
Let me give you the recipe:
If HELL is as hot as this,
Then I'd prefer paralysis (or even dialysis.)
If you're hot, you're hot
And if you're not, you're not.
But if you feel like you're on a charcoal grill,
I'd suggest you take a giant chill pill.
When I break out in a tremendous sweat
Out goes my feminine etiquette.
I'll lift up my shirt to get fresh air.
If it embarrasses you I really don't care.
I'm having a hot flash right now;
At this moment I'm wiping my brow.
There's sweat pouring off of me.
Quite frankly, I'd rather be a HE.
Susan Sparks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Ode to Menopause by Susan Sparks )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Enjoying Interior Sensations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Know everything at least, gajanan mishra
- Lost Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Abortion (cry of a foetus), ramesh rai
- Feel me, I am here, gajanan mishra
- Let me start afresh, gajanan mishra
- selfie, ko the skipper
- In Search Of Americans, Joe Sadeghloo
- Write down everything, gajanan mishra
- Leap in time, Nassy Fesharaki