The Zonkey and the Grolar Bear
'Please don't eat me, '
Said the Zonkey,
To the Grolar Bear,
'I'm far too rare.
Just like you,
I'm an unusual brew.
Even a donkey,
Looks at me,
A little queerly.
We could be best chums,
And play bongo drums.'
'I'll not disagree, '
Said the Bear to the Zonkey,
'It's just that I'm so hungry! '
'You can't catch me, '
Cried the Zonkey,
'You never will, '
As he sped down the hill.
The Grolar Bear gave pursuit,
Choosing the most direct route,
Hoping for a casserole,
But fell into a muddy hole.
Stuck fast in the sludge,
He couldn't budge.
It sure did stink,
Worse, he began to sink.
'Please help, ' said the Grolar Bear,
To the Zonkey, 'Have a care.'
'You're a little overweight,
You shouldn't put so much on your plate, '
Said the Zonkey, whose heart was kind,
As he threw branches at the bear's behind.
A twig brought tears to a Grolar eye,
'What are you doing? ' he said with a sigh,
Said the zonkey.
When sticks were far and wide,
'Lie down, ' the Zonkey cried.
On a raft, our Grolar crawled,
Until at the edge he sprawled.
'You rescued me from this silt,
Oh, how my heart is full of guilt, '
Said the Grolar Bear, 'Please become,
My lifelong best chum.'
Our Zonkey taught a Grolar to fish,
To never be short of a dish,
While a Grolar kept a Zonkey safe from harm,
With solid muscles on each arm.
Stephen Katona's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Zonkey and the Grolar Bear by Stephen Katona )
Did you read them?
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
- The Festival of Lights, Deepawali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Loving Partha Sarothi -A Token Of Love., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns