A Touch Of Light
Let us for a moment
Dare to hold our books to our hearts,
Invoking some sincerity.
Their wisdom is timeless
Made to lighten our way
On the path of life.
For life is not merely
A means to glorify our needs and our greed.
But a way, a chance to evolve,
Perchance to see the reality we came from
And in time we go back to.
The messages in there are
Shoulders to cry on,
Sticks to lean on,
Water to cool our dry throats
And shelters at night
When gripped by fear of death.
They teach love,
We understand hatred
They teach truth and honesty
We understand greed
They teach oneness,
We understand division
Where they teach peace and good conduct
We preach war and bloodshed.
Before those books
There were them who said the messages.
Call them back,
They will tell us that
We are defiling what they said;
That the faults are not with the books
But with us
Who in our hearts make new copies
To fit our shortsighted and selfish visions.
Mohabeer Beeharry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Touch Of Light by Mohabeer Beeharry )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak