all day if it doesn't rain
On a recent trip in my personal time machine.
I observed myself asking my dad yet another annoying question.
His answer was always as predictable as the question I was asking.
“ All day if it doesn’t rain”.
I laugh now as I witness the dumb look on my face.
Realizing it was time for me to exit the past and return to the present day.
The residual of my dad’s answer was ringing in my head like a church bell on Sunday morning.
“All day if it doesn’t rain”
Rains bring joy and happiness to some and despair to others; yet, the question remains what does rain have to do with changing the day?
Rain a catalyst of life and also a prelude to something horrible.
On any given day each of us is in jeopardy of being snatched from our earthly shells by the oldest thief.
As we continue to ride this rock as it completes another pass around the ball of fire.
Our web of deceit tangles us.
The scars of our lust; stain our soul like the tombstones of a graveyard.
Kicking the rocks along my path the earth seems to form a mold of my shoe.
Reminding me to be grateful it has not rained for me.
Tony Cox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (all day if it doesn't rain by Tony Cox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note, Imamu Amiri Baraka
- Out, Out, Robert Frost
- Barter, Sara Teasdale
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Changing Everything, Jane Hirshfield
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- I Change, Rimni chakravarty
- Life Be Too Short For 'o Ruing..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Bless You Always, Michael P. McParland
- ' The Misunderstanding Of Poetry..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Earth's work of heart, Roann Mendriq
- Poem for Gushungo, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- A Cheaper Way To Fly, Darren Hobson
- Dear Lonely Animal,, Oni Buchanan
- And The World, Darren Hobson
- Heaven Must Be A Lonely Place, Derek Brendish