An Ode To
A year ago,
Unknown you were,
Stranger among an unknown crowd
Which took us into as it flowed.
For days, didn't know
You merely existed somewhere around me.
Little you knew about me
But I didn't even know your name.
When that face flashed off my eyes,
Exchange of a word or two,
It was a mere formality,
Still you remained a stranger to me.
Days turned weeks,
And weeks left us with months.
Bit of talks and occasions together,
Gradually sowed the seeds of friendship.
Discovered in you,
A unique star of vibrant glow
The more I wish,
But words are few to describe you.
Now when you are to leave,
In search of new heights and glories;
In the bitter cold morning
Past loomed off my eyes.
A childish wish, popped up somewhere
If at all you could stay back! !
If at all we could call back! !
As she took off the hands to leave,
With a smirk over that lovely face,
Wasn't a need of a mystic to read
That those eyes said something else.
Wishing you the best forever,
Waved off with sighing hearts.
Just a year, but had conquered the hearts
As if were together for a million years.
A few steps you took and paused
Feared if at all she would return
For it would burst the sea of emotions
Till then tied in the thrall of silence.
Looked back at us once again,
It was to wave off once again.
Anamika Jayakumar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode To by Anamika Jayakumar )
- The stars of respect is the smile of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Insensibile, Gianfranco Aurilio
- Soul Gives Life to Dreams xx xxx xx .., Lee Mack
- Dreams Everyone Dreams, Rohit Sapra
- because we're both globe-trotters, Mandolyn ...
- Interior Constraint, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Silent voice, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Gentlemen For Me, Poetic Lilly Emery
- The eyes of the stars is the eyes of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Young Housewife, William Carlos Williams
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)