Peter Daniel Phiri
Burdens Of HIV
She does not have to suffer from stigma and discrimination,
She is just a child born with HIV;
A curse that will not respect her innocence or her purity.
Her mother lies in bed fighting for her life,
Some part of her wants to die and face judgement,
But the other yearns to stage an impossible fight;
To go back five years in time and prevent the pregnancy.
She can only recall her memory of an innocent youth turning so rogue.
With the eagerness to explore her sexuality,
And emotions rushing through her blood;
The pleasure of his hand touching her body,
And his adventures into her fruitful domain.
As her tummy grew,
Her fears grew together with it.
With the father gone,
And disgrace borne.
She did not afford a hospital,
The midwife delivered her And handed her her God given gift,
Which later seemed like a curse once HIV started tormenting her;
And made her life a living hell.
She recieves punishment for the sins of the father.
A sexual partner of many
And a carrier of Aids,
Who like many,
Ignore the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Burdens Of HIV by Peter Daniel Phiri )
- Time is Change, Taqueia Brown
- The Very First Days of Autumn, Hebert Logerie
- Red, Nate Crow
- Always wrong, hasmukh amathalal
- Satan's obsessions, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- War (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Finally hope fades away, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- What can we do not to sin again? ? ? ?, ademola oluwabusayo
- Childhood collection poem -4, soulful heart
- Tell me you love me, Tiku akp
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Blackberry-Picking, Seamus Heaney
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)