- Each Day a Rising Sun (Sestina)
Ev’ry morning we glory to see the sun
breakfast the day with its yolk of golden ways
when birds are happiest to sing their songs.
What is new is sure to get our welcome
after we have dreamed nightmares of darkness.
With hope we long for only what’s to come.
When cooler days are never soon to come
we wipe the beads of sweat and sun:
a consequence from earlier days of darkness
straying away from some established ways.
Any signs and words of forgiveness are welcome
which give us reason to sing our prayerful songs.
But I know some who sing such woeful songs,
who for them no happy days will come,
where there’s nothing new for them to welcome.
They say, there’s nothing new under the sun.;
but ev’ry day we welcome to feel new ways
to deliver us from the plight of darkness.
Who’s to know all the kinds of darkness?
We only need to hear those singing songs
to know some live like robots not holding ways
that offer them hope of better days to come.
Their life is merely the revolving of a repeating sun;
too many yesterdays no longer welcome.
What in others can we truly welcome?
Do we expect just the good and not the darkness,
expecting all the shadows to flee the sun?
What of those who sing no joyful songs?
Will we willingly bring them aid and come?
There may be reasons to change our daily ways.
When we stray from straight and narrow ways,
who will be there to support a needful welcome?
Some of those I know will no longer come.
With ev’ry passing day there lingers some darkness.
Not ev’ry day will bring only joyful songs
and even some days the sky clouds the sun.
We’ll welcome each other with hopeful, prayerful songs,
hoping to find the ways that free us from darkness
and each new day will begin with a rising sun.
This poem was published online by Sketchbook, Sept./Oct,2009
Ben Gieske's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (- Each Day a Rising Sun (Sestina) by Ben Gieske )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- True Love, Michael P. McParland
- Solitudinarian, hafiz qasim
- The Secret, Hazel Durham
- MG CLUB, lee fones
- True Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Coma, Fabrizio Frosini
- Tribute To The Pet Shop Boys, Michael P. McParland
- Tribute To Freddie Mercury, Michael P. McParland
- Hail! The Coming Year, Anthony Di'anno
- Treat, Michael P. McParland