The best way to live,
Is to try to give.
Leave behind your greed,
To truly succeed.
Give an instant,
And be not so distant,
With a sunny smile,
For a little while.
Such a valuable gift,
Provides spirits a lift.
Give a minute,
If that's your limit,
To help another,
Like a devoted mother.
It shouldn't be rare,
When people dare,
To help those in need,
With a kindly deed.
Give an hour,
It's within your power.
Sit with a friend and laugh,
At an old photograph,
Of how your time began,
And share an exciting plan.
Pour sun on your future,
Close the wound with a suture.
Give a day,
Fill it with play.
Know a stranger well,
Bring them out of their shell.
Make it your mission,
To truly listen.
Showing genuine interest,
Is really simplest.
Spend your time
Helping others climb.
Stephen Katona's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Giving Time by Stephen Katona )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen
- It Pushes It Out, Luis Estable
- Vatsyayana, You Had No Book To Write, Bu.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blood Is Never Water, Luis Estable