Nepenthe of Respite
She was frightening
While I, her name frightened fled
Now while I wishest her soothing company
She hurls me live in secluded agony!
'Tis what regard and reward of love
To make the love his love unlove'?
'Tis what decree on a lover's side
To keep the love his bliss denied?
Love oft-times begins in quarrels
Grows in feelings and blooms in florals!
When mere her name had me fright and fear
I fled as far beyond her sphere,
Seeking vainly helps to live me grow
Wandered frightened to and fro.
But life is full of pains and piercings
And all its agonies are soul crushing;
Though I know-
Ere gain thy love has pain intense
That sickens the valiants with fright immense,
That feared the gods to seek protection,
And threatens the devils to escape collaption!
Scared the glimmers of charmed blessed eyes
And perished to dust the prided lives.
But what be worse when all is worst
Extremest agonies have no more hurt!
When dreadening heart-fits have extremest heights
Thou are remembered to end the plight.
Thou art nepenthe of sole respite
For the sickening festering frigh
When the frame is frail to stir
Bearing the age crushing the might
When nightmares dost seem appear
Haunting the heart with lasting fear
Lasting long to endless heights
Thou art nepenthe of sole respite!
Vivek Tiwari's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Pain to escape the pain.
When the pain has its extreme agony in life one is turned to bear the pain of death.
Comments about this poem (Nepenthe of Respite by Vivek Tiwari )
- Not Just You, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Cry of the Unwanted, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Beneath the Words, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Believe, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- One-way Mirror, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- An Invitation, Doyen Lingua
- Bougainvillea, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Enamored Love, Lilly Emery
- October Skies, Lilly Emery
- What if, Chris Zachariou
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)