Nepenthe of Respite
She was frightening
While I, her name frightened fled
Now while I wishest her soothing company
She hurls me live in secluded agony!
'Tis what regard and reward of love
To make the love his love unlove'?
'Tis what decree on a lover's side
To keep the love his bliss denied?
Love oft-times begins in quarrels
Grows in feelings and blooms in florals!
When mere her name had me fright and fear
I fled as far beyond her sphere,
Seeking vainly helps to live me grow
Wandered frightened to and fro.
But life is full of pains and piercings
And all its agonies are soul crushing;
Though I know-
Ere gain thy love has pain intense
That sickens the valiants with fright immense,
That feared the gods to seek protection,
And threatens the devils to escape collaption!
Scared the glimmers of charmed blessed eyes
And perished to dust the prided lives.
But what be worse when all is worst
Extremest agonies have no more hurt!
When dreadening heart-fits have extremest heights
Thou are remembered to end the plight.
Thou art nepenthe of sole respite
For the sickening festering frigh
When the frame is frail to stir
Bearing the age crushing the might
When nightmares dost seem appear
Haunting the heart with lasting fear
Lasting long to endless heights
Thou art nepenthe of sole respite!
Vivek Tiwari's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Pain to escape the pain.
When the pain has its extreme agony in life one is turned to bear the pain of death.
Comments about this poem (Nepenthe of Respite by Vivek Tiwari )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- love so pure, love so true, kat tommany
- THE MIDDLE GROUND, Satish Verma
- bonds of friendship, kat tommany
- valentine's day, kat tommany
- can i be your valentine's day, kat tommany
- Even If Broken, Lyn Paul
- forever and always yours, kat tommany
- The constant rewards of the will to comm.., Dan Reynolds
- Meelo paidal chalkar tumko, tumse milwan.., VIJAY SINGH BHADORIYA
- Secretly Loving You, Reagan A. Latumbo