Some Like Poetry
thus not all. Not even the majority of all but the minority.
Not counting schools, where one has to,
and the poets themselves,
there might be two people per thousand.
but one also likes chicken soup with noodles,
one likes compliments and the color blue,
one likes an old scarf,
one likes having the upper hand,
one likes stroking a dog.
but what is poetry.
Many shaky answers
have been given to this question.
But I don't know and don't know and hold on to it
like to a sustaining railing.
Translated by Regina Grol
Wislawa Szymborska's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Some Like Poetry by Wislawa Szymborska )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Poem is lost, gajanan mishra
- Can You Hear What I Hear?, Marites C. Cayetano
- Traffic jam..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The Dull Road, Edgar Albert Guest
- My Paw Said So, Edgar Albert Guest
- When You Know A Fellow, Edgar Albert Guest
- Story Telling, Edgar Albert Guest
- Little Master Mischievous, Edgar Albert Guest
- Failures, Edgar Albert Guest
- Spring In The Trenches, Edgar Albert Guest