I am swept by visions of glory,
Given to flame and burnt to the soul.
Of touching bonds in raging fury,
For I am half and we are whole.
I am swept by touch so gentle,
Beneath the silk in passions hold.
In crash of lace and cast of cotton,
Beyond the lines of thread and fold.
I am swept by taste with hunger,
Moving now with brush and blow.
Caress in strokes so endless sweeping,
As carnal needs in tide do flow.
I am swept by scent, your essence,
Arousing breathless, this stirring swelled.
Pulling now in heave with fervour,
In ebb and curl, your body held.
I am swept by joy with rapture,
Beyond all bound and rushing crest.
Racing hearts with warm elation,
A moment felt, from heaven blessed.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
I used quatrain stanzas (verses of 4 lines) with an ABCB rhyming scheme (lines 2 and 4 of each verse rhyme) .
The poem takes it rhythm from the ocean (even the title) . There are numerous maritime references such as tides, ebb and curl. In addition, the poem uses senses – sight, touch, taste, smell and sensation.
Comments about this poem (Swept by Andrew Barber )
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(4 November 1771 – 30 April 1854)
- Mark Strand
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Universal Gift, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- Double Rainbow, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Infinite Love, Ifthekar Ifthi
- Christmas Tale, Gergana Teofilova
- None Sweeter, Michael P. McParland
- Not Yet Slept, Michael P. McParland
- No Other, Michael P. McParland
- Blue Hope, maryline vautravers
- No More Yelling, Michael P. McParland
- No Greater Love, Michael P. McParland
- Nightlife, Michael P. McParland