Andrew Burke Poems
- Mr Hobby's Poppies One poppy bends in the wind precarious ...
- Sharp-Smelling Mist I see us now on the cliffs of the Swan ...
- Autobiography each block of wood a head to chop each ...
- Esse Est Percipi I lie on the surgery table staring up at ...
- Natural Sfx Standing at the edge of the Western ...
- None So Raw As This Our Land Many have been more exotic ...
- Duet At Shanxi Normal Universi...
Andrew Burke is a contemporary Australian writer.
His poetry has been included in Western Australian and Australian anthologies.
Early in his working life, Burke pursued a career in advertising as a copywriter and Creative Director, switching to academia as a literature and creative writing lecturer in middle age. He has lectured in Australia and China, and read his poetry to audiences of all ages in the United Kingdom, Singapore, China, and throughout Australia.
Andrew Burke has had five collections of poetry published, and has also had short plays on the boards, songs on CD, and short stories and less reliable prose published in magazines and fish'n'chip ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Andrew Burke
Duet At Shanxi Normal University Linfen, China
As I walked out late along Paragon Road
among students going hither and thither,
I heard a trained voice – male, operatic –
singing quietly to itself, ‘Maria, Maria’,
then Mandarin lyrics. I couldn’t understand
so I asked, ‘You sing “Maria”?’
He shook his head. I said, ‘You know,
“Maria” from West Side Story ...’ He
shook his head some more – so I sang
and he joined me and we sang
down Paragon Road to the gate,
my ‘Maria’, his Chinese song.
At the gate, between smiling sentries,
I tapped him on the shoulder and said,
‘Same melody has got me ...