Anne Spencer Poems
- Translation He trekked into a far country, My friend and ...
- The Wife-Woman Maker-of-Sevens in the scheme of things From ...
- At the Carnival Gay little Girl-of-the-Diving-Tank, I desire...
- Before the Feast of Shushan Garden of Shushan! After Eden, ...
- Lines to a Nasturtium A lover muses Flame-flower,...
Annie Bethel Spencer (better known as Anne Spencer) (February 6, 1882, Henry County, Virginia – July 27, 1975, Lynchburg, Virginia) was an American poet and active participant in the New Negro Movement and Harlem Renaissance period.
Anne was the first Virginian and first African-American to have her poetry included in the Norton Anthology of American Poetry. Also an activist for ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Anne Spencer
Before the Feast of Shushan
Garden of Shushan!
After Eden, all terrace, pool, and flower recollect thee:
Ye weavers in saffron and haze and Tyrian purple,
Tell yet what range in color wakes the eye;
Sorcerer, release the dreams born here when
Drowsy, shifting palm-shade enspells the brain;
And sound! ye with harp and flute ne'er essay
Before these star-noted birds escaped from paradise awhile to
Stir all dark, and dear, and passionate desire, till mine
Arms go out to be mocked by the softly kissing body of the wind—
Slave, send Vashti to her King!