Augustus Montague Toplady
Augustus Montague Toplady Poems
- Object Of My First Desire Object of my first desire,- Jesus,...
- Rock Of Ages, Cleft For Me Rock of Ages, cleft for me, Let ...
- A Debtor To Mercy Alone A debtor to mercy alone, of covenant ...
- Grace, 'Tis A Charming Sound Grace, ’tis a charming ...
- How Vast The Benefits Divine How vast the benefits divine ...
- Lord, Save Us, We Perish Pilot of the soul, awake, Save us ...
- Hymn Of Sovereign Grace Formed for thyself, and turned to ...
Augustus Montague Toplady was an Anglican cleric and hymn writer. He was a major Calvinist opponent of John Wesley. He is best remembered as the author of the hymn "Rock of Ages". Three of his other hymns – "A Debtor to Mercy Alone", "Deathless Principle, Arise" and "Object of My First Desire" – are still occasionally sung today, though all three are far less popular than "Rock of Ages".
Background and Early Life, 1740–55
Augustus Toplady was born in Farnham, Surrey, England in November 1740. His father, Richard Toplady, was probably from Enniscorthy, County Wexford in Ireland. Richard Toplady became a commissioned ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Augustus Montague Toplady
Object Of My First Desire
Object of my first desire,-
Jesus, crucified for me;-
All to happiness aspire,
Only to be found in Thee;
Thee to praise, and Thee to know,
Constitute our bliss below;
Thee to see, and Thee to love,
Constitute our bliss above.
Lord it is not life to live,
If Thy presence Thou deny;
Lord, if Thou Thy presence give,
'Tis no longer death - to die.
Source and Giver of repose,
Singly from Thy smile it flows;
Peace and happiness are Thine,
Mine they are, if Thou art mine.
While I feel Thy love to me,
Every object teems with joy;
Here, O ...