Dennis Green Poems
- Tearfall (1984) . Clouds stalking black about my heart for...
- Family (1990) We laugh together, childlike ...
- Burglary (1988) . When an easy smile hides a dark and...
- Innocence (2011) . Whilst empathy and compassion are ...
- Poem For Wayne (1985) . When you smiled and turned ...
- The Dad Poem 2 (2011) . When first I knew a decent Man was ...
- A Sixpenny Wish (1985) Before mass Daddy gave me ...
Has spent more than 50 years attempting to perfect his role as self appointed human being. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Dennis Green
A Sixpenny Wish (1985)
Daddy gave me sixpence
to buy a guardian angel with
rubbing love on freckled cheek.
So I ran all the way to church
with that sixpence in my shoe
and I knelt dutifully
but they didn't get my sixpence.
Though the lolly-lady did
and I got chocolate peanut brittle
in my teeth as I smiled
and Daddy knew
but loved me just the same.
Now all the sixpences are gone
and I haven't prayed since those freckles went away.
Though if I were to dream a little
I'd wish for love and peanut ...