Henry Howard Poems
- Love That Doth Reign And Live Love that doth reign and live ...
- The Things That Cause A Quiet ... My friend, the things that...
- The Soote Season The soote season, that bud and bloom forth ...
- Alas! So All Things Now Do Hol...
- A Vow To Love Faithfully, Hows...
- Brittle Beauty Brittle beauty that nature made so ...
- A Praise Of His Love Give place, ye lovers, here before That...
Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey KG was an English aristocrat, and one of the founders of English Renaissance poetry.
He was the eldest son of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, and his second wife, the former Lady Elizabeth Stafford (daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham), so he was descended from kings on both sides of his family tree. He was reared at Windsor with Henry VIII's illegitimate son Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, and they became close friends and, later, brothers-in-law. He became Earl of Surrey in 1524 when his grandfather died and his father became Duke of Norfolk.
In 1532 he accompanied his first cousin Anne... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Henry Howard
Love That Doth Reign And Live
Love that doth reign and live within my thought
And built his seat within my captive breast,
Clad in the arms wherein with me he fought,
Oft in my face he doth his banner rest.
But she that taught me love and suffer pain,
My doubtful hope and eke my hot desire
With shamefast look to shadow and refrain,
Her smiling grace converteth straight to ire.
And coward Love then to the heart apace
Taketh his flight, where he doth lurk and plain
His purpose lost, and dare not show his face.
For my lord's guilt thus faultless bide I pain;
Yet from my lord shall not my ...