James Fenton Poems
- HOW CAN THE HEART LIVE? How can the heart live that loved ...
- YELLOW TULIPS Looking into the vase, into the calyx, into the...
- THE ALIBI My mind was racing. It was some years from ...
- THE WATCHER IN THE SQUARE I wake in the night with a ...
- WAS THAT YOUR IDEA OF LOVE? Was that your idea of love? Was ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about James Fenton
HOW CAN THE HEART LIVE?
How can the heart live that loved once so well?
The body that knew love without deceit?
For I remember now I was not mad
Loving my bright unblemished luck
And finding a simple joy in what I had.
And I remember now I was not deceived.
The tongue lies. Really, the body does not lie.
And long before the breaking of the wave
I knew there was some great good I had mislaid
And logic tells me what I lost was love.
Affection with an electric charge of hope
Is what love was. Affection died in the flames.
There's no insurance: earthquake, fire and ...