John Shaw Neilson
John Shaw Neilson Poems
- O Heart Of Spring O HEART of Spring! Spirit of light ...
- The Land Where I Was Born HAVE you ever been down to my ...
- The Orange Tree The young girl stood beside me. I Saw ...
- Beauty Imposes Beauty imposes reverence in the Spring, ...
- Love's Coming QUIETLY as rosebuds Talk to thin air, ...
- The Poor, Poor Country Oh 'twas a poor country, in Autumn it ...
- The Smoker Parrot He has the full moon on his breast, The ...
John Shaw Neilson, was an Australian poet. Slightlybuilt, for most of his life, John Shaw Neilson worked as a labourer, fruit-picking, clearing scrub, navvying and working in quarries, and, after 1928, working as a messenger with the Country Roads Board in Melbourne. Largely untrained and only basically educated, Neilson became known as one of Australia's finest lyric poets, who wrote a great deal about the natural world, and the beauty in it.
Neilson was born in Penola, South Australia of purely Scottish ancestry. His grandparents were John Neilson and Jessie MacFarlane of Cupar, Neil Mackinnon of Skye, and Margaret Stuart of Greenock. His mother, Margaret ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about John Shaw Neilson
O Heart Of Spring
O HEART of Spring!
Spirit of light and love and joyous day,
So soon to faint beneath the fiery Summer:
Still smiles the Earth, eager for thee alway:
Welcome art thou, soever short thy stay,
Thou bold, thou blithe newcomer!
Whither, O whither this thy journeying,
O heart of Spring?
O heart of Spring!
After the stormy days of Winter’s reign,
When the keen winds their last lament are sighing,
The Sun shall raise thee up to life again:
In thy dim death thou shalt not suffer pain:
Surely thou ...