Kate Northrop Poems
- Affair With Various Endings I. Kempton, ...
- Hiding —to my sister Because the moon in late ...
- The Visitor Down the hill, in the field of sweet alfalfa, ...
- Iowa &Amp; Other Accidents There was snow that afternoon ...
- The Geranium How can you stand it—looking at things? ...
- The Dead Their reward is they become innocent again, and ...
- Late Aubade &Amp; Explanation Once in a field, in a wide ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Kate Northrop
Affair With Various Endings
I. Kempton, Pennsylvania
Perhaps the last of the light
lifting this evening from the field of wheat
means something. Perhaps the view
includes us, and we are not errors
in the landscape
or meant to be erased. The painter, it's true,
prefers not to preserve
our figures in the brush
of hills layered into green. Perhaps he too
is careless with the truth. What lies
have you had to tell to land you here
outside Kempton, with the creek rising behind us?
How did the story sound? If I say your hand
on my thigh, the truck still ...