Mohammed Bennis Poems
- Love Is Supreme Ruler In love, you yield and you're ...
- Love Is Eternity's River Nothing but streams, Continuous
- Seven Birds A white Bird A breath condenses
- Blindness This ink transports me to the heights of my ...
- She Tent erected and the night around Her
- I Am Not I I'm the Andalusian living between the pleasures of...
- Frivolity Don't ask him anything about the pathways
Mohammed Bennis is a Moroccan poet and one of the most important poets of the Modern Arabic Poetry. He was born in Fez, Morocco, in 1948. He contributes energetically to the modern Arabic poetry and he enjoys since the 1970s, a particular status in the Arab culture. Muhsin J. al-Musawi writes about him: “The Moroccan poet Muhammad Bennis’ articulations tend to validate his poetics in the first place, to encapsulate the overlapping and contestation of genres in a dialectic that takes into account power politics whose tropes are special. As a discursive threshold between Arab East and the Moroccan West, tradition and modernity, and also a site of contestation and configuration, Muhammad Bennis... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Mohammed Bennis
Love Is Supreme Ruler
In love, you yield and you're miserable.
In love, you die many times and you're pleased.
In love, you obey.
In love, the forbidden is abolished
Likewise, the despicable
The smutty, the interdicted.
There are no alliances in love,
Love is a lethal command.
So give way to the time of its conquest
And take a path
Prepared by your loss.
On the basis of experience, I tell you that in
my youth I loved a blond slave girl of mine,
and since then I have never deemed any
black-haired woman beautiful, and my father
was much the same.