Ntozake Shange Poems
- With No Immediate Cause every 3 minutes a woman is ...
- My Father Is A Retired Magicia... my father is a retired ...
- Enuf at 4:30 AM she rose movin the arms & legs that trapped...
- You Are Sucha Fool you are sucha fool/ i haveta love you ...
- People Of Watts where we come from, sometimes, beauty floats...
- Blood Rhythms - Blood Currents...
- 'Sorry' one thing i don't need is any more apologies i ...
an American playwright, and poet. As a self proclaimed black feminist, much of the content of her work addresses issues relating to race and feminism.
Shange is best-known for the Obie Award-winning play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf.
She also wrote Betsey Brown, a novel about an African American girl who runs away from home. Among her honors and awards are fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund, and a Pushcart Prize. Shange lives in Brooklyn.
Shange was born Paulette L. Williams in Trenton, New Jersey to an upper-middle-class family. Her father, Paul ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
With No Immediate Cause
every 3 minutes a woman is beaten
every five minutes a
woman is raped/every ten minutes
a lil girl is molested
yet i rode the subway today
i sat next to an old man who
may have beaten his old wife
3 minutes ago or 3 days/30 years ago
he might have sodomized his
daughter but i sat there
cuz the young men on the train
might beat some young women
later in the day or tomorrow
i might not shut my door fast
every 3 minutes it happens
some woman's innocence
rushes to her cheeks/pours from her mouth
like the betsy wetsy dolls have been ...