Tonight - Poem by Jibanananda Das
Had you been around tonight we could talk;
—a world of Hijal Shirish stars grass breeze all surround.
But all our thoughts feeling emotions are filtered
through reasons and logic, and made to the point
I have been through all those protocols and their consequence
Seen India London Rome New York China's chronicles
The story of tonight and the extinct mammoths
All are covered by fierce discipline.
Where are you lost—which dice to cast in hand?
What keeps you engaged? Not all pursuits prove gainful;
Our daily dawn and dusks, river and stars—that I have known profoundly
Archived therein all those eternal truths.
[Translated by Faizul Latif Chowdhury]
Comments about Tonight by Jibanananda Das
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl