When Buddha Woke Up... - Poem by Ramesh Iyengar
When Buddha woke up….
As bats, owls screeched in banyan trees,
Right inside the palace, a young man woke up…
To his right, his wife and children asleep.
Thought the young man ‘ Why should mankind suffer? '
With disease, old age, death…endless sufferings..?
Who has solution? And who'll save sick mankind?
Left the rich palace, his wife, children, riches and all.
Walked away far, this man, found a peepul tree,
Sat under it. Closed his eyes to meditate
to find medicine for mankind's diseases.
Till one day, light dawned upon him. Wisdom came.
Thus, mankind saved.
- - -
Comments about When Buddha Woke Up... by Ramesh Iyengar
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl