Football Poems - Poems For Football
Poems about football. You can read the best football poems. Browse through all football poems.
My Old Football - Poem by John Milton Hayes
YOU can keep your antique silver and your statuettes of bronze,
Your curios and tapestries so fine,
But of all your treasures rare there is nothing to compare
With this patched up, wornout football pal o’ mine.
Just a patchedup wornout football, yet how it clings!
I live again my happier days in thoughts that football brings.
It’s got a mouth, it’s got a tongue,
And oft when we’re alone I fancy that it speaks
To me of golden youth that’s flown.
It calls to mind our meeting,
’Twas a present from the Dad.
I kicked it yet I worshipped it,
How strange a priest it had!
And yet it jumped with pleasure
When I punched it might and main:
And when it had the dumps
It got blown up and punched again.
It’s lived its life;
It’s played the game;
Its had its rise and fall,
There’s history in the wrinkles of that wornout football.
Caresses rarely came its way in babyhood ’twas tanned.
It’s been well oiled, and yet it’s quite teetotal, understand.
It’s gone the pace, and sometimes it’s been absolutely bust,
And yet ’twas always full of bounce,
No matter how ’twas cussed.
He’s broken many rules and oft has wandered out of bounds,
He’s joined in shooting parties
Over other people’s grounds.
Misunderstood by women,
He was never thought a catch,
Yet he was never happier
Than when bringing off a match.
He’s often been in danger
Caught in nets that foes have spread,
He’s even come to life again
When all have called him dead.
Started on the centre,
And he’s acted on the square,
To all parts of the compass
He’s been bullied everywhere.
His aims and his ambitious
Were opposed by one and all,
And yet he somehow reached his goal
That plucky old football.
When schooling days were ended
I forgot him altogether,
And ’midst the dusty years
He lay a crumpled lump of leather.
Then came the threat’ning voice of War,
And games had little chance,
My brother went to do his bit
Out there somewhere in France.
And when my brother wrote he said,
‘Of all a Tommy’s joys,
There’s none compares with football.
Will you send one for the boys? ’
I sent not one but many,
And my old one with the rest,
I thought that football’s finished now,
But no he stood the test.
Behind the lines they kicked him
As he’d never been kicked before.
Till they busted him and sent him back
A keepsake of the war.
My brother lies out there in France,
Beneath a simple cross,
And I seem to feel my football knows my grief,
And shares my loss.
He tells me of that splendid charge,
And then my brother’s fall.
In life he loved our mutual chum
That worn-out football.
Oh you can keep your antique silver
And your statuettes of bronze
Your curios and tapestries so fine
But of all your treasures rare
There is nothing to compare
With that patched-up worn-out football—
Pal o’ mine.
Comments about My Old Football by John Milton Hayes
Poems About Football
- 1. My Old Football , John Milton Hayes
- 2. Football , Louis Jenkins
- 3. Football! ! ! , Linda Ori
- 4. Football (Haiku Haiku Haiku Haiku Haiku) , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 5. Football Fever , Vijay Sai
- 6. A Friendly Game Of Football , Edward George Dyson
- 7. Why Do You Love Football? , Candy Simpson
- 8. This Is The Football Season , Francis Duggan
- 9. The Football Match , Anonymous Americas
- 10. Football - The Most Beautiful Game , Rohan Roy
- 11. Eleven Rules Of Football , Sylvia Chidi
- 12. Football , Fred Babbin
- 13. Our Teacher's A Football Fanatic , Kenn Nesbitt
- 14. A Bloody Riot............ [football/Socc.. , Bri Edwards
- 15. Football , Mr. Bean
- 16. A Game Of Football , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 17. Football , Joyce Johnson-Merryweather
- 18. The Football Legend Pele , Asif Andalib
- 19. You Treat Me Like A Football , Asif Andalib
- 20. Mud Football , Stephen De Marino
- 21. Football, My Life , Estelle Koehler (Old)
- 22. Football Field:Evening , John Alexander Ross McKellar
- 23. Football And Basketball , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 24. Super Bowl Football Poem , Tom Zart
- 25. *football Field Gem , Rommel Mark Dominguez Marchan
- 26. Rhymes Of Football , Pradip Chattopadhyay
- 27. Done With Football , Aaron Fullbright
- 28. Limerick-Football? , Loke Kok yee
- 29. Football Frenzy , Walterrean Salley
- 30. Super Bowl Football Poem = 2016 , Tom Zart
- 31. Football Match , gajanan mishra
- 32. Dance And Football Match , Kumarmani Mahakul
- 33. Another Football Season , Francis Duggan
- 34. A Football Mile , Theresa Ann Moore
- 35. You And I (And Two Football Teams) , Ground Sniper
- 36. Football Gladiators ~ Lyric Poetry , Christine A Kysely
- 37. After School, Street Football, Eighth Gr.. , Dennis Cooper
- 38. The Football Jock And The Cheerleader , louis rams
- 39. The Football Match , Asif Andalib
- 40. 'Tis Football , Francis Duggan
- 41. The Love Of Football , Viola Akhigbe
- 42. Haiku #093 (Football) , Carolyn Brunelle
- 43. Football Strike (Limerick) , Juan Olivarez
- 44. Football A Game. , BUNMI OROGUN SAMUEL
- 45. A Soldier Above The Football Field , RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 46. Football 2 , Tony Gonzalez
- 47. Football Khelowar , Jasimuddin
- 48. Football Is Round , Louisa Dai
- 49. Butterflies And Football , Anita Atina
- 50. Football Spirit , Chase Nacker
New Football Poems
- The Burke Brothers, Francis Duggan
- It Is As A Rhymer, Francis Duggan
- A Diversion From The Cares Of Life, Francis Duggan
- The Wise Man On Football, Francis Duggan
- Always Football, Francis Duggan
- Big Joe Is One, Francis Duggan
- Tommy Tucker, Francis Duggan
- Of What Used To Be But May Not Be Again, Francis Duggan
- Brazil Leads The Way, Francis Duggan
- I Heart Your Dog's Head, Erin Belieu
- carpe diem