Robert Leary Poems
- The Pundit And The Puppet The puppet has a vision With many ...
- A Love So Deep....The Alligato...
- The Fly In the garden You sit upon my book I look you in ...
- The Road To Erato I Oh willow like a bird so fair Your ...
- The Vase An empty vase upon the table decorously awaiting ...
- How Like A Bird How like a bird you are Heroic canary In my...
- Love Lessons How do you teach someone to love? They sit ...
I started writing poetry at the age of twenty at the University of Connecticut. At UConn I studied with James Scully and won the Wallace Stevens Award for poetry several times. While there I published poems in the Wormwood Review. Upon graduation I entered Harvard first studying with Richard Tillinghast in the summer. I then was introduced to Robert Lowell, submitted a manuscript and was formally... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Pundit And The Puppet
The puppet has a vision
With many strings attached
A life for every season
Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall
Not liking one or all
He can ask the fingers for revision
If he wants to posture large or small
He can change for any reason
For personalities he might jest
Play the role of Rufus Rose
A modern version of Pinocchio
A rendering of Cyrano
Court the lovely courtesan
Princes Summer Fall Winter Spring
Turn the mirror on himself
Act out who he wish he was
Or with flick of finger
Play himself again