Taylor Mali Poems
- What Teachers Make He says the problem with teachers ...
- Like Lilly Like Wilson I'm writing the poem that will change ...
- Undivided Attention A grand piano wrapped in quilted pads by ...
- Tony Steinberg: Brave Seventh ...
- Totally like whatever, you kno... In case you hadn't ...
- Labeling Keys Though not a secretive man, my father ...
- How Falling in Love is like Ow...
Taylor McDowell Mali (born 28 March 1965) is an American slam poet, humorist, teacher, and voiceover artist.
A 10th-generation native of New York City, Taylor Mali graduated from the Collegiate School, a private school for boys, in 1983. He received a B.A. in English from Bowdoin College in 1987 and an M.A. in English/Creative Writing from Kansas State University in 1993. One of four ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Taylor Mali
What Teachers Make
He says the problem with teachers is
What's a kid going to learn
from someone who decided his best option in life
was to become a teacher?
He reminds the other dinner guests that it's true
what they say about teachers:
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
I decide to bite my tongue instead of his
and resist the temptation to remind the dinner guests
that it's also true what they say about lawyers.
Because we're eating, after all, and this is polite conversation.
I mean, you're a teacher, Taylor.
Be honest. What do you make?
And I wish he ...