- Tell Me, You Who Know Tell me, you who know of poetry – I ...
- She, He And Language She said, hunger, thirst. He said, eat ...
- My Mother's Sari There, in the wooden box my mother’s sari, ...
- A SONG FOR SHIVA AS SHE GIVES ...
- TELL ME, YOU WHO KNOW . . . Tell me, you who know of poetry ...
- MY MOTHER'S SARI There, in the wooden box my mother's sari, ...
- SHE, HE AND LANGUAGE She said, hunger, thirst. He said, eat ...
Janaki Srinivasa Murthy (Kannada: ಜಾನಕಿ ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸ ಮೂರ್ತಿ), popularly known by her pen name as Vaidehi (Kannada: ವೈದೇಹಿ) is a well-known writer of modern Kannada language fiction. Vaidehi is one of the most successful woman writer in Kannada and winner of many prestigious national and state level literary awards. She has won the Central Sahitya Akademi Award for her collection of short stories, Krauncha Pakshigalu in 2009.
Vaidehi was born on February 12, 1945 to A.V.L Hebbar and Mahalakshmi in Kundapur taluk of Udupi district, Karnataka. She belongs to Kota Brahmin community, a distinct Kannada community mainly found in Kundapur. She grown up in very large ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Tell Me, You Who Know
you who know of poetry –
I know nothing of it
but I know what rasam is.
Do you think it’s a mere nothing?
It calls for a blend
of the principles of water,
aroma and essence –
a tempered state reached after simmering . . .
Thus . . .
There it was in the corner,
a container with rasam,
on a seemingly dead and ash-covered
coalfire, waiting and waiting . . .
Does it matter that it waits?
In the great durbar of meat dishes
seasoned with spices that sparkled,
of servers who danced as they walked,
of laughter and ...