Aemilia Lanyer Poems
- Salve Deus Rex Judæorum. Sith Cynthia is ascended to that ...
- To The Vertuous Reader Often haue I heard that it is the ...
- To All Vertuous Ladies In Gene... Each blessed Lady that in ...
- The Description Of Cooke-Ham Farewell (sweet Cooke-ham) where...
- To The Doubtfull Reader Gentle Reader, if thou desire to be ...
- To The Queenes Most Excellent ... Renowned Empresse, and...
- To The Ladie Arabella Great learned Ladie, whom I long haue ...
Emilia Lanier, also spelled Lanyer, (1569–1645) was the first Englishwoman to assert herself as a professional poet through her single volume of poems, Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum (1611). Born Aemilia Bassano and part of the Lanier family tree, she was a member of the minor gentry through her father's appointment as a royal musician, and was apparently educated in the household by Susan Bertie, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Aemilia Lanyer
Salve Deus Rex Judæorum.
Sith Cynthia is ascended to that rest
Of endlesse joy and true Eternitie,
That glorious place that cannot be exprest
By any wight clad in mortalitie,
In her almightie love so highly blest,
And crown'd with everlasting Sov'raigntie;
Where Saints and Angells do attend her Throne,
And she gives glorie unto God alone.
To thee great Countesse now I will applie
My Pen, to write thy never dying fame;
That when to Heav'n thy blessed Soule shall flie,.
These lines on earth record thy reverend name:
And to this taske I meane my Muse to tie,