Declan O'Reilly Poems
- Saviour I felt the nails Pierce my hands, I felt the flesh...
- Bullied Then in September When the first leaves fell, Soft...
- Tear Keep me in your heart, Till I or love are gone, Then...
- Holiday I have fifty in my sight. Say that's one a week For...
- Beast All of a sudden it lunged at me This huge black ...
- Ploughman I tend the fields until they are ready; All day I...
I always had a love for poetry. Growing up in Ireland poetry was everywhere, it was part of everyday speech. I never liked the fact it was considered high-brow, that it belonged to a certain class and that one had to be well-schooled to understand it. I don't think any poet ever wrote for a certain audience and I definitely do not either. True poetry is universal and its themes are as varied and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
All of a sudden it lunged at me
This huge black beast
Growling and fiercely terrifying,
Its razor sharp claws,
Swiping out at me
And I on the ground
Using my heels to push myself away from it
Instead of getting to my feet
And calmly saying
I am not afraid
I have claws too.