Don Marquis Poems
- The Old Trouper Mehitabeli ran onto mehitabel again last ...
- Archy Confesses Archycoarse jacosity
- Pete the parrot and shakespear... I got acquainted with a ...
- The Fairy and the Firefly One night I saw a battle between a...
- The Tom-Cat At midnight in the alley A Tom-cat comes to ...
Donald Robert Perry Marquis (July 28, 1878, in Walnut, Illinois – June 16, 1937, in New York City) was a humorist, journalist, and author. He was variously a novelist, poet, newspaper columnist, and playwright. He is remembered best for creating the characters "Archy" and "Mehitabel", supposed authors of humorous verse. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Fairy and the Firefly
One night I saw a battle
between a firefly
and a fairy.
I think he was an Irish fairy,
for he grinned as he fought,
and I know he was red-haired.
The wicked monster,
beast and bug at once,
charged the fairy
again and again,
rushed and flew at him, fuming,
pulsating luminously with throbs of rage,
as if a winged bull of Nineveh
were in the ring with a toreador-
a winged bull that had swallowed
a kitchen range,
which glowed through its iron ribs,
and, like a matador,
the red-haired fairy dodged and side-stepped the furious ...