Eugene Field Poems
- Little Boy Blue The little toy dog is covered with dust, ...
- Wynken, Blynken, And Nod Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night ...
- Jest 'Fore Christmas Father calls me William, sister calls me...
- The Duel The gingham dog and the calico cat Side by side on ...
- Child And Mother O mother-my-love, if you'll give me your ...
- Pittypat And Tippytoe All day long they come and go-- ...
- Norse Lullaby The sky is dark and the hills are white As the...
Eugene Field, Sr. was an American writer, best known for his children's poetry and humorous essays.
Field was an unusual poet. He was one of the few poets who wrote only children's poetry. That is how he got his nickname, The Children's Poet.
It all started September 2, 1850, at 634 South Broadway in Saint Louis. That's where and when Eugene Field was born. He had one brother named Roswell, who was one year younger than he, and a sister who died soon after her birth. He and his brother were very close, but very different. Eugene took after their mother, Francis, while Roswell took after their father. Eugene was afraid of the dark while his brother ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Quotationsmore quotations »
''Mr. Clarke played the King all evening as though under constant fear that someone else was about to play the Ace.''Eugene Field (1850-1895), U.S. author, critic. Quoted in Alexander Woollcott, "Capsule Criticism," The Portable Woollcott (1946). Writing for the ...
Little Boy Blue
The little toy dog is covered with dust,
But sturdy and stanch he stands;
And the little toy soldier is red with rust,
And his musket molds in his hands.
Time was when the little toy dog was new
And the soldier was passing fair,
And that was the time when our Little Boy Blue
Kissed them and put them there.
"Now, don't you go till I come," he said,
"And don't you make any noise!"
So toddling off to his trundle-bed
He dreamed of the pretty toys.
And as he was dreaming, an angel song
Awakened our Little Boy Blue,--
Oh, the years are many, the ...