Hal Caufield Poems
- The Irony Of Love Irony is a literary or rhetorical ...
- My Mother's Tears My mother cried again last night. I looked...
- I Want To Paint You I want to paint you. Not to achieve ...
- What Lies Beneath It’s not your golden curls Or sky blue ...
- Lancelot To Guinevere Believe thee not shame upon our ...
- My Father's Words Yesterday I finally understood “Beauty ...
- I Will Always Stand For You I will always stand for you. I ...
Comments about Hal Caufield
The Irony Of Love
Irony is a literary or rhetorical device.
The essayist Henry Watson Fowler wrote:
“any definition of irony
—though hundreds might be given,
and very few of them would be accepted—
must include this,
that the surface meaning
and the underlying meaning of
what is said are not the same.'
He left out that any definition of
Irony must include that it is cruel.
I never understood
The meaning of irony
Or how cruel it can be,
Until you told me,
That though you may love me,
You find it difficult to
Hear the words
“I love you” from ...