John Giorno Poems
- An Unemployed Machinist An unemployed machinist An ...
- THANX 4 NOTHING on my 70th Bir...
- There Was A Bad Tree There was a bad tree a bad ...
- La Saggezza Delle Streghe Wisd...
- The Death Of Willim Burroughs William died on August 2, 1997,...
- Welcoming The Flowers I am standing on the corner of Stanton ...
- Everyone Gets Lighter Life is lots of presents, and every ...
John Giorno (born 1936) is an American poet and performance artist. He founded the not-for-profit production company Giorno Poetry Systems and organized a number of early multimedia poetry experiments and events, including Dial-A-Poem. He became prominent as the subject of Andy Warhol's film Sleep (1963). He is also an AIDS activist and fundraiser, and a long-time practitioner of the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.
Giorno was born in New York. He graduated from Columbia University in 1958, where he was a "college chum" of physicist Hans Christian von Baeyer. In 1962, while in his early twenties he briefly worked in New York as a stockbroker. In 1962 he met Andy ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about John Giorno
An Unemployed Machinist
An unemployed machinist
who travelled here
from Georgia 10 days ago
10 days ago
and could not find
and could not find a job
into a police station
walking into a police station
yesterday and said
of being scared
I'm tired of being scared."