Maia Mayor Poems
- What The Bones Know When I am old, my bones will make music ...
- Perfect Is there something wrong with you? A loose screw or...
- Untitled The exchange of words is repetitive. Thrown back ...
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clau... ♫ I saw mommy kissing Santa ...
- Butterflies When I was little I used to rip the wings off of...
Maia is a genius writer and performer. As a Get Lit Player and Literati Fellow she has performed for thousands of youth all over the country. Her poems are viral sensations on line, and her chapter in the Award winning Get Lit Rising, is the most requested for interviews and live performances. She has lectured at the ALAN Convention and was chosen as a panelist/performer in the upcoming NCTE ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
What The Bones Know
When I am old, my bones will make music with every crack,
creating rhythms throughout my spinal cord and back
that tell fractured stories of where I've been.
All 206 of them are shells that breathe life into the living,
so I will smile on the days that I've worn them thin
knowing the end of my youth was only the beginning.
Broken and repaired, bones grow with experience
wrapping around broken hearts like the protective arms of a mother,
they comfort me.
even as they'll one day wither into nothing but gray ash,
even as they decay and
deteriorate at the speed...