Martha Lavinia Hoffman
Martha Lavinia Hoffman Poems
- The Cavern By The Sea The tropical islands of Tonga In the ...
- The Butterfly Butterfly, butterfly, where are you going? Do ...
- The Depths Sublime and wonderful art thou, O ...
- Lines To The Ocean Old Ocean, none knoweth thy story; Man ...
- Home, Sweet Home Backward across the lapse of years, With ...
- One Little Glimpse Of Heaven One thought of holy ...
- O, Can I Be Happy In Heaven? O, can I be happy in ...
"Martha Lavinia Hoffman was born in Jackson Valley, Amador County, California, July 21, 1865. When three years of age her parents moved to Ukiah, California, where her girlhood and young womanhood were spent, and where she received inspiration from the beauties of nature in that, and adjacent valleys, for many of her poems.
From childhood she evinced an unusual love for the true and the ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Martha Lavinia Hoffman
The Cavern By The Sea
The tropical islands of Tonga
In the Southern Pacific sea lie
Like fragments of cool rainbow color
Dropped down from the melting blue sky.
They are gardens of clustering palm trees
Of creepers and tall waving fronds,
Flowers, colored by sunshine and sea-breeze,
Fruits, painted by tropical dawns.
In these beautiful islands of Tonga
Dwelt a chieftain, young, stalwart and brave,
Who dived like a fish in the ocean
And rose with the foam on the wave.
One morning while swimming and diving
He ventured so deep by the shore
That he rose in a ...