Mike Finley Poems
Comments about Mike Finley
A Prayer For Poets
Let a thing be what we say it is,
if a donkey is eating corn
let the donkey not be an allegory
nor the corn a corn byproduct.
Let us not despise readers
for not 'getting us'
when we did nothing to let them in,
and everything to keep them out.
Let every offering be a gift,
first from you and then from us.
Let 'Let this serve you well'
be both credo and apologia.
Do not let us fall down
the well of our awareness.
Neither let us feel special
Just because we hear music.
Lead us not into obscurity,
and deliver us from ...
Be A Better Poet
1. Stop talking and listen. Listen to yourself listening. Then listen to that.
2. Pile all your hats in the back yard and burn them. Especially any with feathers.
3. Remove your name from everything you do. Anonymity purifies. Fame corrodes.
4. Drive out your own sound by inviting in others.
5. Stop breaking sentences into lines. Instead, breathe. The breaks find themselves.