Mike Finley Poems
- A Prayer For Poets Let a thing be what we say it is, if a ...
- Denis Joe i hear the chime of the poem's voice and in the ...
- Be A Better Poet 1. Stop talking and listen. Listen to ...
- A Prayer Against Pride You are the winking stream, We are ...
- The Sugar House The sugar house is shutting down,
- A Prayer For Resilience As the mountain hungers to be made ...
- A Prayer For Redefinition How confusing it all ...
In the 1970s I was a much-published young poet. But I have since gone into hiding.
http: //mfinley.com/booklist2.htm more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
A Prayer For Poets
Let a thing be what we say it is,
if a donkey is eating corn
let the donkey not be an allegory
nor the corn a corn byproduct.
Let us not despise readers
for not 'getting us'
when we did nothing to let them in,
and everything to keep them out.
Let every offering be a gift,
first from you and then from us.
Let 'Let this serve you well'
be both credo and apologia.
Do not let us fall down
the well of our awareness.
Neither let us feel special
Just because we hear music.
Lead us not into obscurity,
and deliver us from ...