Richard Kalfus Poems
- A Lament Of The Aging A LAMENT OF THE AGING I am old. So ...
- Love -new- The Gift of Adoption As a baby You came to a new ...
- Dr. Posner Dr. Posner I was 15 When I heard the news: ...
- The Changing Face Of Beauty The changing face of ...
- Eturn To Washington Heights Return to WASHINGTON ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
A Lament Of The Aging
A LAMENT OF THE AGING
I am old.
So I’ve been told
By magazines and TV commercials
Portraying perfect complexions,
Perfect hair, no bald men here
Perfect, sculpted bodies,
Ready to jog
to save the world
In a cancer run
Am I envious?
You bet I am!
I am naked
So many years ago.
Standing before the army doctor
Who wrote, without a word:
“The 19 year old is fit to serve.”
A quick glance in the mirror now
the wrinkled, blotchy face
The protruding stomach
The breasts I never had
The bald head of Mr. ...