Sarah Getty Poems
- Deer, 6:00 Am The deer--neck not birch trunk, eyes not leaf ...
- Channel 2: Horowitz Playing M... sits with a small smile, ...
- Presbyopia Old eyes, but wiser, says the Greek.You lose sight...
- The Wash A round white troll with a black, greasy heart ...
- That Woman Look! A flash of orange along the river's ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Sarah Getty
Deer, 6:00 Am
The deer--neck not birch trunk, eyes
not leaf or shadow, comes clear
from nowhere at the eye's edge.
The woman's legs stop.Her mind
lags, then flashes, "Deer at edge
of the woods."The deer's eyes, black
and fragile, stare back and stop
her breathing.The breeze drops.Light
shines every leaf.She enters
that other world, her feet stone
still on the path.The deer stands
pat and takes her in.Antlered,
static as an animal--
not a statue, photograph,
any substitute--can be
because it wants to, it includes
her in the world it ...