Shirani Rajapakse Poems
- Silently Waiting They sit in a row, heads Bowed low, and ...
- Sahel, Sahel The men ride through the night. Their horses ...
- A Gift To You The aroma from my coffee wafts through the ...
- Hope Give me a sip of water for my lips are parched, my ...
- The Violinist Lifting, moving, bowing. Blue stripes on ...
- Untitled Out of the ruins of war rose a voice so calm it ...
- Hands In Protest Hands across the world we are the masses. ...
Sri Lankan poet and author Shirani Rajapakse began publishing in 2011. Her debut collection of short stories 'Breaking News' (Vijitha Yapa 2011) was shortlisted for the Gratiaen Award. Her poetry is published in literary magazines and anthologies (both print and ezine) . In early 2013 she won the 'Cha 'Betrayal' Poetry Contest. Her poem 'The Shower' was selected as a finalist in the Anna ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Shirani Rajapakse
They sit in a row, heads
Bowed low, and accept
The law’s blows.
Forced to breathe pepper
As the law hovers
In front spraying in
Hope they would leave.
Or die. That would be
Better for the law. No
The cameras flash but
Don’t intervene to save
The students. Prevent
The police onslaught.
Defenders of democracy
What say the press standing