Warsan Shire Poems
- Home no one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a ...
- What We Have Our men do not belong to us. Even my own father,...
- Conversations About Home (At T...
- Ugly Your daughter is ugly. She knows loss ...
- Her Blue Body Full of Light Can you believe I have cancer? ...
- Backwards for Saaid Shire The poem can start with him ...
- The House i Mother says there are locked rooms inside all...
Shire was born in 1988 in Kenya to Somali parents. She immigrated to the United Kingdom at the age of one. Shire has a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing. As of 2015, she primarily resides in London
In 2011, Shire released Teaching My Mother How To Give Birth, a poetry pamphlet published by flipped eye. Her full collection is to be released in 2016 through flipped eye.
Shire has read her poetry in various artistic venues throughout the world, including the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, North America, South Africa and Kenya. Her poems have been republished in various literary publications, such as the Poetry Review, Magma and Wasafiri. Additionally, Shire's verse ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
no one leaves home unless
home is the mouth of a shark
you only run for the border
when you see the whole city running as well
your neighbors running faster than you
breath bloody in their throats
the boy you went to school with
who kissed you dizzy behind the old tin factory
is holding a gun bigger than his body
you only leave home
when home won't let you stay.
no one leaves home unless home chases you
fire under feet
hot blood in your belly
it's not something you ever thought of doing
until the blade burnt threats into