(1) Seeking to Survive
in the stormy night
but the light of waking truth
arrives at dawn intrusive as a salesman.
We have to live life nobly
protecting our honesty and integrity
as well as the general safety of loved ones
and vulnerable strangers
under the threat of annihilation
by marauders of corruption and greed
and simple indecency
even if the rewards are as paltry
as desire denied and love abandoned.
It takes courage
to gradually make your way to the grave
instead of rushing headlong by violent choice
or the addictive haze of decadence;
one has to be open to the possibility
there is still some magnificence to discover,
some sunlight consuming doubtful shadows,
some destiny of promise at the end of the maze
of wasted days.
The flesh is weak but the spirit is willing.
Uriah Hamilton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ((1) Seeking to Survive by Uriah Hamilton )
- As Time Turns, Cathy Hodgson
- Suazo Nights, Eddie Morgan
- Juicy Lucy, I Salute Your vASStness!, Monk E. Biz
- As Long As I Am There For 'You', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Paralyzed And Iced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Art and the Pain, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Alien Lullaby, Akujuobi Chijioke
- A Song Of Long Ago, Lilly Emery
- Simply Amazing, Olecia Henry
- A City Called Nirvana, Akujuobi Chijioke