7th Weekend Of The Year
The weekend had come.
It blended into everything else.
I was drunk through most of it
some old friends had come to stay at the house
and we played a lot of cards.
I didn’t win much but that wasn’t the point.
The alcohol was flowing, the company was good and that was what counted.
On Saturday we had destroyed a guitar.
It was a cheap piece-of-shit balsa wood
and it had smashed after a few strikes.
it felt good to indulge in mindless
Sunday came around.
I awoke with another hangover
I guessed it must be six by now.
I was impressed
that I had managed
to get drunk
six days out of seven.
It started to get interesting
when we all sat around the same table
with a pack of cards
I came back with ten lagers
some cider and blackcurrant.
We were making snakebite and black.
It tasted like cordial but mixing
the two types of alcohol
was a sure way to get yourself ready
in a hurry.
Gary Diamond's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (7th Weekend Of The Year by Gary Diamond )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Emotions Kept Inside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Yehi Karna Hay to Insan Banata Keyun Hay, Akhtar Jawad
- Golden Dreams, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Wind shall blow, hasmukh amathalal
- Turn to flower, hasmukh amathalal
- PH: Life: Growing Up, La! * - Chapter3 (.., Brian Johnston
- Mind Over Matter, david kush
- Don't do anything in a bigger way than t.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Let poetry excel, hasmukh amathalal
- Mama's Black Breast, Ozioma Anieto