A Beacon of Hope
I gaze at the morrow,
Shrouded with uncertainty.
Bereft of ideas, I sailed aimlessly.
Tossed by the tide, driven by the wind,
Hauled by a strange current towards a mysterious coast.
I fought with all I could summon, yet I was cast overboard.
My Will with my ship lost.
All I had with it gone. I lay adrift,
Entangled in Poseidon's curls. Swept unconscious
To shore by the waves. I awoke, in the dreary depth of despair,
Beaten, bruised, tattered ‘n' marooned on the isles of isolation.
Haunted by discouragement, I pondered what tricks Fate has for me.
Like a gypsy, homeless have I become
A broken bird with broken dreams, I hop
From branch to branch searching for a way.
I crave a balm for my sore sole. To bathe my
Swollen feet in warm water I seek.
But all alone in the cold I remained.
The birds have their nest,
The foxes, their holes but I, I've
Nowhere to lay my weary head. Starving,
Dehydrated ‘n' bankrupt but who will spare a drink
For my parched tongue? Who will lend a blanket for the night?
Who will mend my broken wings? Yet all alone in the dark I remained
I've failed in all I attempt
My wisdom to naught brought.
My ears heard but understood it not
Neither did my eyes see the handwriting
On the wall. Far across the ocean I could see her
The Lady Aurora a beacon of hope. She said to me, "Though
The night does tarry a while; a new day always is born"
Dave BenOdafe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Beacon of Hope by Dave BenOdafe )
- As golden, hasmukh amathalal
- Without Warning, With Morning, Lucy Gray
- How to Pinda-Dana?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- We are neighbors, gajanan mishra
- Sonnet: How Cancers Kill!, Dr John Celes
- My love xi, binod bastola
- आंहा उदै बुंजासे आदार गैया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Cutting Edge, Satish Verma
- Will Never Love Nor Marry Unless, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Image of God, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)